Board/Minutes/2024-01

From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes

Votes and preliminary notes. Draft minutes to be added.

The topics of the agenda will get locked one week before the meeting.

Date and time: Thursday 25 January, 13:30 UTC - Countdown

Location: Video room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/dor-2cd-qah-rim
using BigBlueButton.

Acronyms

Participants

  • Arnalie Vicario
  • Craig Allan
  • Daniela Waltersdorfer
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Mateusz Konieczny
  • Roland Olbricht
  • Sarah Hoffmann

Officers and board
Biographies

Guests

  • 16 guests, including Martin Raifer (Presenter)

Open to all OSM Foundation members. (Become a member of the Foundation, even for free if you are an active OSM contributor)

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.

Preliminaries

  • Welcome by Chair
  • Determination of quorum
    • Members present: 7
    • Members absent: 0
  • Apologies: 0

Presentation on iD editor by Martin Raifer

10 minute presentation by Martin Raifer, iD maintainer.

5 minutes questions and comments.

Draft minutes to be added.


Administrative

Vote on multiple resolutions

Motion by Guillaume Rischard to approve the resolutions listed on the following items, in order to have more time for the rest of the agenda:

1. Approval of previous minutes

2. Circular resolutions

3. Topic: Nomination of Board liaison for Digital Public Goods Alliance
The Board nominates Craig Allan to be the liaison between the Foundation and the Digital Public Goods Alliance. This appointment will lapse when Craig Allan ceases to be a Board member.

4. Topic: Resolution on licensing use of OSM trademark on OSM.tips websites
Resolution: The board authorizes the Licensing and Legal Working Group to work out a trademark agreement with OSM.tips. The agreement must include arrangements for the disposal of trademarked domains in case the service ceases to exist.

5. Topic: Graded spending policy
The Board notes the concern among members that the procedures for entering into contracts on behalf of the OSM Foundation are not sufficiently controlled. The Board agrees to take steps to improve the security of contracting by introducing mandatory spending caps and graded requirements for reviewing and approving small, medium and large contracts.

Unanimously approved on 2024-01-25 with 7 votes in favour: Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan, Daniela Waltersdorfer, Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Sarah Hoffmann.
Proposed by: Guillaume Rischard, Seconded by: Sarah Hoffmann.

Approval of previous minutes

Minutes of November 2023
Resolution: The Board resolves that the minutes of the November Board meeting are an accurate reflection of the meeting. Decision: Approved. See: Vote on multiple resolutions.

Minutes of December 2023
Resolution: The Board resolves that the minutes of the December Board meeting are an accurate reflection of the meeting. Decision: Approved. See: Vote on multiple resolutions.


Circular Resolutions

2023/Res46 Provisional 2024 budget

Board Resolution for Adoption of Interim Budget

The Board acknowledges that the OpenStreetMap Foundation has not finalised the annual budget for the upcoming year. To ensure continuity of operations, the following resolution is adopted:

1. Interim Budget based on 2023 figures:

The Board approves the use of the 2023 budget as the interim budget for the Foundation for the initial part of the fiscal year 2024. This interim budget will be in effect from 1 January 2024, until the approval of the 2024 budget.

2. Authority for Expenditures:

The Treasurer and designated officers are hereby authorised to make expenditures as per the 2023 budget during this interim period. Working groups within the Foundation are permitted to submit purchase requests and expenditures as usual, within their allocated budgetary limits.

3. Expedited Final Preparation of 2024 Budget:

The Board emphasises the importance of completing the 2024 budget, and commits to finalising the annual budget promptly. A draft should be presented for review at the January public board meeting.

4. Stakeholder Communication:

The Treasurer is tasked with communicating this interim measure to all relevant parties, ensuring transparency and understanding.

5. Ongoing Financial Oversight:

The Board shall continue to monitor the Foundation's financial status closely and be prepared to make necessary adjustments once the 2024 budget is finalised.

Approved on 2023-12-28 with 6 votes in favour: Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan (This is an interim measure will keep us operating through to Thursday 25th Jan.), Sarah Hoffmann (The proposal itself is okay. I do not agree with the implicit assumption that an absence of the proposal would have meant that all operations of the OSMF had stopped. This is an interpretation that is at odds with current practice and as such surprising to everybody involved).
1 did not vote: Daniela Waltersdorfer.

Circular by Roland Olbricht.

2024/Res01 Decision on Mollie

This poll is to make a Board decision on migrating our instance of Mollie, the funding gateway software, from the current version to the UK version.

There are no financial implications. Financially everything will continue as before. Mollie will process incoming donations and charge us a small % fee on each donation for their service.

There is a software implication in that the API key we use to access Mollie will need to be changed.

Guillaume set the software up and is is the only board member able to make this change. He will need to follow the instructions emailed to him by Mollie to change the account and then insert the new API key into our code.

Vote below to Agree/Disagree/Abstain with regard to the following resolution: "We, the members of the OSMF Board, hereby resolve to authorise Guillaume to implement the change in the Mollie account."

Approved on 2024-01-04 with 6 votes in favour: Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan, Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Sarah Hoffmann.
1 did not vote: Daniela Waltersdorfer.

Circular by Craig Allan.

2024/Res02 Approve active contributor membership application #2023122710000044

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2024-01-14 with 6 votes against: Arnalie Vicario (Need more info about OSM projects they’ve been working on), Sarah Hoffmann (Please provide more information about concrete projects. The active membership program is for engagement in the OSM community. Engagement in projects using OSM data is great but not necessarily sufficient for the program.), Craig Allan (This is a minimalist application, with very few mapping days and no attached information on the applicants contribution to OSM. The HOT employment is noted, and very likely the applicant has made good contributions, but we don't give HOT staff automatic ex-officio membership. I'd like to say Yes, but I would like to see something concrete in the application to base my Yes on. I'd encourage the applicant to revise and re-apply.), Mateusz Konieczny (per others.), Guillaume Rischard, Roland Olbricht.
1 did not vote: Daniela Waltersdorfer.

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

2024/Res03 Approve active contributor membership application #2024010310000081

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2024-01-16 with
3 votes against:
- Guillaume Rischard (Only 7 days of mapping ever. Many changesets, but they're tiny. I encourage the applicant to participate more in OSM and gain more experience by contributing over a longer period of time.)
- Sarah Hoffmann (While very active, the activities seem to be focused more on the Youthmapper organisation than on OSM.)
- Mateusz Konieczny (for the same reasons as Rischard and Sarah.).
3 votes in favour:
- Arnalie Vicario
- Roland Olbricht (Knows how to map, although does binge mapping - according to some random samples. Is willing to write about his OSM experience. Definitely invested in OSM.)
- Craig Allan (Supported. The applicant is appreciated for his role in supporting open mapping in [Country]*</sup, though very little record of mapping on OSM. Noted also during Googling that he has WordPress skills).
1 did not vote:
- Daniela Waltersdorfer.

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

* Redacted.

2024/Res04 Approve active contributor membership application #2024010310000091

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2024-01-17 with
3 votes against:
- Roland Olbricht (Let us encourage them to reapply with information specifically about 2023 activity.)
- Mateusz Konieczny (What has happened in the last year? Note that active contributor membership is not honorary membership for past mapping activities, but for people with ongoing activities. I looked at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Organised_Editing/Activities and nothing is listed there, I looked at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/[Project name]* etc Please, reapply with more info if some relevant activity happened in last year. I really want to vote "agree".).
- Guillaume Rischard (I agree with Mateusz, and would encourage the applicant to reapply and include more information about active contributions in 2023.)
3 votes in favour:
- Sarah Hoffmann (This is good community work and seems to be a long running program that was still active in 2023.)
- Craig Allan (SUPPORTED. The applicant has ~5500* changesets historically so is easing off on the mapping a little lately, but the community work in [Place]* is useful and growing local support for OSM.).
- Arnalie Vicario
1 did not vote:
- Daniela Waltersdorfer.

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

* Redacted.
** Number rounded.

2024/Res05 Approve active contributor membership application #2024010810000036

The Board currently decides on active contributor membership applications based on non-mapping contributions on a case-by-case basis.

Did not pass on 2024-01-17 with
3 votes against:
- Roland Olbricht (The Google results I have found were for mostly 2022 (one academic course going into 2023, one broken Nitter link from a WeeklyOSM), and the application itself does not refer to any activity in 2023.)
- Mateusz Konieczny (what has happened in the last year? Note that active contributor membership is not honorary membership for past mapping activities, but for people with ongoing activities.).
- Sarah Hoffmann (For an extension of the active member contributorship, the focus on the supplied information should really be on the activities in the last year. This seems to be missing.)
2 votes in favour:
- Craig Allan (Supported. The non-mapping activities are sufficient for membership. A quick Google search confirms. For someone who trains, advises and attends conferences on mapping the applicant has done remarkably little OSM mapping, but despite that the extensive non-mapping activities are valued.).
- Arnalie Vicario
2 did not vote:
- Daniela Waltersdorfer
- Guillaume Rischard

Application initially processed by the Membership Working Group.

Action item updates

Public board action items - About
Filter by assignee Arnalie Craig Dani Guillaume Mateusz Roland Sarah Not assigned
Filter by label Example: any label # labels here (non-clickable)

Draft minutes to be added.


Secretary's report

Draft minutes to be added.


Treasurer's report

Draft minutes to be added.


OSM Belgium Local Chapter re-application

Draft minutes to be added.

Vote on OSM Belgium Local Chapter application

Resolution: After careful review and consultation of the reapplication of OpenStreetMap Belgium to become a local chapter, the board found that the requirements are successfully fulfilled. Motion to approve the reapplication of OpenStreetMap Belgium, under the organisation OpenStreetMap Belgium, as a local chapter.
Decision: Unanimously approved on 2024-01-25 with 7 votes in favour: Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan, Daniela Waltersdorfer, Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Sarah Hoffmann. Against: 0, Abstentions: 0.
Proposed by: Arnalie Vicario, Seconded by: Craig Allan and Roland Olbricht.

Nomination of Board liaison for Digital Public Goods Alliance

Vote on Craig Allan becoming the OSMF liaison for the Digital Public Goods Alliance

The Board nominates Craig Allan to be the liaison between the Foundation and the Digital Public Goods Alliance. This appointment will lapse when Craig Allan ceases to be a Board member.
Decision: Unanimously approved on 2024-01-25 with 7 votes in favour: Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan, Daniela Waltersdorfer, Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Sarah Hoffmann. See: Vote on multiple resolutions.
Voted together with multiple other resolutions. See: Vote on multiple resolutions.

Resolution on licensing use of OSM trademark on OSM.tips websites

Vote on working on a trademark agreement with OSM.tips

Resolution: The board authorizes the Licensing and Legal Working Group to work out a trademark agreement with OSM.tips. The agreement must include arrangements for the disposal of trademarked domains in case the service ceases to exist.
Decision: Unanimously approved on 2024-01-25 with 7 votes in favour: Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan, Daniela Waltersdorfer, Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Sarah Hoffmann.
Voted together with multiple other resolutions. See: Vote on multiple resolutions.

Ensure review of signed contracts

Draft minutes to be added.

Decision: Discussion to continue during the February mid-month board chat (not open to observers).


Budget for 2024

Draft minutes to be added.


Graded spending policy

Vote on noting that that the finance team is preparing a new policy to introduce better financial controls on OSMF spending

Noting resolution: The Board notes that the finance team is preparing a new policy to introduce better financial controls on OSMF spending.
Decision: Unanimously approved on 2024-01-25 with 7 votes in favour: Arnalie Vicario, Craig Allan, Daniela Waltersdorfer, Guillaume Rischard, Mateusz Konieczny, Roland Olbricht, Sarah Hoffmann.
Voted together with multiple other resolutions. See: Vote on multiple resolutions.

Timing of fiscal year and the Annual General Meeting

Draft minutes to be added.

Decision: To be discussed at a separate meeting.


Board liaisons for working groups

Draft minutes to be added.

Decision: Discussion to continue during the February mid-month board chat (not open to observers).


2024 face-to-face board meeting

Draft minutes to be added.


Any other business

None.


Guest comments or questions

None.


Next meetings

All Board meetings for 2024 have been planned. See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Open board meeting

Open board meetings take place online monthly: currently on the last Thursday of every month.

Dates: See this Framagenda calendar (green dots), and the monthly board meetings page. The dates of public board meetings are also added to https://osmcal.org/.

Mid-month board chat

Mid-month board chats are not open to observers.

Dates: See this Framagenda calendar (yellow dots), and the monthly board meetings page.


Closed session

Handling announcement of emergency meetings minutes