The creation of the committee, named "fundraising committee" and with an initial charter focused on fundraising, was decided in December 2020, and initial charter approved by the OSMF board on 2022-05-23. The committee was renamed to "Finance Committee" and its scope was expanded on August 2022, and further revised in June 2023.
The Finance Committee gathers financial needs from across OSMF, forecasts budget requirements, develops the strategy for raising funds, maintains donor relationships and coordinates implementation of fundraising plans, and tracks actual spend.
The Finance Committee is open to members external to the Board, in addition to Board members. External members are approved by the OSMF Board. Some portion of the Finance Committee work may be limited to Board members only.
The Committee will communicate among themselves and meet periodically. The Committee will communicate its activities and results in the Treasurer's report at the OSMF Annual General Meeting, maintain minutes of meetings, and may share additional communication about its work from time to time.
What we do
- Take a multiyear perspective on budget requirements
- Gather budget needs annually, and on request, from OSMF Working Groups, the Personnel_Committee and the Board
- Assess needs against available funds, and arrange for approval of budgets by Board
- Regularly track actual spend
- Set fundraising targets inline with operational budget set by OSMF Board.
- Develop fundraising pitch and materials.
- Maintain relationships with our funders.
- Organize fundraising drives targeting community members and supporters.
- Investigate and pursue diversification of funding sources.
- Coordinate fundraising with other entities in the OSM ecosystem.
Guidelines and Policies
- Fundraising Guidelines were adopted on 2023-05-25. The guidelines aim to preserve the integrity of the project, respect the diverse cultures of our community, and ensure that our fundraising practices align with the Foundation’s mission and values.
Composition of the Finance committee
We can be reached at email@example.com.
- Mikel Maron - Chairperson of the committee, elected in December 2020.
- Roland Olbricht - OSMF Treasurer
- Guillaume Rischard
The Finance Committee selects various advisors to lend their experience and expertise to our fundraising activities. They are invited to our meetings, but not expected to regularly attend. They are consulted from time to time as need arises. They are not full members of the committee, but do have access to some internal documents, so are requied to have an NDA with the OSMF.
- Courtney Williamson - Fundraising consultant
- Allan Mustard - former OSMF board chairperson
- Allen Gunn - Aspiration Tech
- Maggie Cawley - Executive Director of OSM-US (OpenStreetMap Local Chapter in the US)
- Tyler Radford - Executive Director of Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
- Kate Varfalameyeva - Social Media consultant
Ambassadors and other assistance
Want to get involved? Be an Ambassador!
For our fundraising campaigns, we engage OSM community members from around the world to promote and advocate for OSMF. These ambassadors rally support for the campaign in their local communities.
We also engage with volunteers to help with various tasks, like design help with our donation site and other communication assets.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meetings and workshops
We will soon begin updating meeting minutes at Committees/Minutes
- Workshops: 2022-09-19 to [pending - series not completed yet] Series of ten to eleven fundraising workshops with Geoffrey MacDougall (Aspiration Tech), offered to the OSMF board for free. Attended: Mikel Maron, Roland Olbricht and Guillaume Rischard. (Some of the dates: 2022-09-19, 2022-09-23)
- Meeting: 2022-05-06