Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2022-12-08

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Draft minutes

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group (LWG) - Agenda & Minutes
8 December 2022, 18:30 UTC


  • Kathleen Lu (Chairing)
  • Tom Hummel
  • Tom Lee (joined 28’ after start)




  • Dermot McNally
  • Simon Hughes
  • Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board)

LWG members
Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi


Adoption of past minutes

Previous action items

  • 2017-03-02 Simon Poole to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
  • 2017-05-04 All/Simon Poole to review import guidelines with regards to licence “approval”.
  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2019-01-10 Simon Poole to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
  • 2019-02-14 Simon Poole to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
  • 2019-12-12 Simon Poole to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
  • 2020-01-09 Simon Poole to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
  • 2020-03-12 Simon Poole to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen Lu on attribution on various apps.
  • 2020-09-10 Simon Poole to set-up call with Kathleen Lu and our UK lawyer about trademarks.
  • 2020-10-08 Jim Vidano to work on updating the privacy policy in relation to OSMF's use of a commercial CDN, and Kathleen Lu will have a look at it.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole and Guillaume Rischard to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume Rischard.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole to send a summary of which action items need to be done.
  • 2021-01-14 Guillaume Rischard to report on Board status re identification of outside counsel
  • 2021-02-11 Kathleen Lu to check LWG-specific membership requirements on the OSMF website and Conflict of Interest policy and provide to Dorothea any updates for the website.
  • 2021-03-11 Guillaume Rischard to sort out various email issues - Making sure Dermot McNally is on the main legal mailing issue, making sure everyone is getting OTRS email notifications for the legal queue.
  • 2021-07-08 Guillaume Rischard to meet with Dermot McNally about using OTRS.
  • 2021-07-08 LWG members to provide comment on the HOT draft trademark agreement on the next meeting.
  • 2021-07-08 Jim Vidano to look at next steps for paperwork after the trademark request has been approved by the board.
  • 2021-07-08 Dermot McNally to ask Tobias for expected outcome regarding the request for change of the text of the standard tile license.
  • 2021-08-12 Tom Hummel to suggest text to be published regarding OSMF's legitimate interest in processing personal data.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to reply to Tobias about simplifying the text of the tile licence.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to make the pull request on Github openstreemap-website regarding attribution requirements for OSMF tiles
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to communicate back to contacts regarding Australian data attribution and suggest filling the waiver template.
  • 2021-08-12 LWG to identify OSMF legal texts that might be needed under German law to be in German.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano to ask Simon Poole whether he has previous emails contacting companies that were not displaying attribution.
  • 2021-09-09 Guillaume Rischard to check past emails (e.g. last year ones related to case in Germany where they settled in court) for any sent to companies not complying with attribution requirements and to send what he finds, including links to the Github repositories with the lists of not complying organisations, to the Signal group.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano and Dermot McNally (2021-12-09) to create a draft template email for the community to contact organisations regarding non compliance with the attribution guidelines
  • 2021-09-09 Dermot McNally to reply to Jean-Marc Liotier (board of directors) with the LWG decision to create a template email for minor cases of non-compliance with the attribution guidelines available to the community and the LWG to directly contact bigger companies.
  • 2022-01-13 Simon Hughes to download a copy of the Copyright FAQ page and mark anything that is not matching the attribution guidelines or is confusing and circulate that to the LWG.
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to ask Tom Hughes to see how many translations of the Copyright and Copyright FAQ page are live. Topic Needed: Update to Copyright FAQ page to match new attribution guidelines
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to talk to Grant Slater (Senior Site Reliability Engineer) about cutting tile access to Impresa Italia. Topic Impresa Italia - Missing attribution case of commercial site using our tiles
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to update agenda with Navionics (Garmin) success. Topic Fixing attribution success
  • 2022-06-09 Guillaume Rischard to check with Amanda regarding the return-to address she used to the letter about printed maps with false copyright
  • 2022-06-09 Guillaume Rischard to check with the rest of the board about the advice on CWG with LWG to rework the copyright page.
  • 2022-09-15 Dermot McNally to send an email to the companies mentioned on Ticket#2022011910000082 and Ticket#202201261000014
  • 2022-09-15 Guillaume Rischard to ask Eugene Villar (board member from Philippines) about any evidence of OSM trademark use in Philippines that can be submitted.
  • 2022-09-15 Guillaume Rischard to respond to the email Ticket#202208041000024 and redirected to right person.
  • 2022-09-15 Kathleen Lu to write to Tom Hughes and ask if the issue he was concerned with was
  • 2022-10-13 Guillaume Rischard to check that Eugene has replied regarding evidence of trademark use in Philippines
  • 2022-10-13 Kathleen Lu to reply to GooseMaps that adding OSM to onboarding screen would be a promising solution and will ask for screenshots.
  • 2022-10-13 Tom Lee to add the updated Copyright FAQ to the OSMF website. Dorothea to provide access.
  • 2022-10-13 LWG to look at Kathleen's previous answer regarding CDLA 2.0 and indicate whether they agree.
  • 2022-10-13 Guillaume Rischard to take the Ticket#2022100310000013 issue to the board (related to legal consequences for “unlicensed surveying”)
  • 2022-10-13 Tom Hummel to point to the Corporate Membership page or the donation page. Ticket#2022101110000098
  • 2022-11-10 Kathleen Lu to write to GooseMaps.
  • 2022-11-10 Guillaume Rischard to add the updated Copyright FAQ to the OSMF website. Re-assigned to Tom Lee, who will provide the code for updating the page to an LWG member with editing access on the OSMF website.
  • 2022-11-10 Guillaume Rischard to ask someone else on the Philippines community regarding proof of the use of OSMF trademarks there.
  • 2022-11-10 Kathleen Lu to join the OPS meeting on the 1st of December regarding the iFrame on on
  • 2022-11-10 Tom Hummel to join the next OPS meeting (17 November 2022) regarding the long-term cookie on
  • 2022-11-10 Guillaume Rischard to pass the message to the board member who wrote to the LWG about Open Database License (ODbL).
  • 2022-11-10 Kathleen Lu to reply to the query re CDLA 2.0.
  • 2022-11-10 Kathleen Lu to reply to Ticket#2022080510000087 — Compatibility of Italian IODL 2.0 license.
  • 2022-11-10 Kathleen Lu to invite the sender of Ticket#2022081410000104 (Lizenzprobleme in Indien) to attend the next LWG meeting, to understand what they're asking.

New action items from this meeting

  • Kathleen Lu to forward the email seeking endorsement to the board. [Topic: Email to trademarks@ - Kiwix]
  • LWG to forward the email from dSpace to the board. [Topic: Ticket#2022120510000221 - dSpace request to show logo]

Reportage and action item updates

Goose Maps

Email sent.

CDLA & Italian OGL

Page has been updated

Updates to OSM website: Share panel

Kathleen Lu discussed with the Operations Working Group (OWG), and they agreed in principle to add a link to the Tile Use Policy to the iFrame section and to add a link to the attribution guidelines to the Download image section. Kathleen opened a GitHub ticket to make this request officially.

Updates to OSM website: Cookie banner

Per Operations Working Group (OWG), they have decided to decrease the cookie life for website navigation cookies so that we do not need the cookie banner.

Update to Copyright FAQ to match new attribution guidelines

Updating Copyright FAQ page with – status?

Decision: Tom Lee to sent the text to one of LWG members with editing access to the OSM website.

Copyright page

Not discussed.

Any updates on reported attribution cases?

Reports in OTRS:

Trademarks – any updates?

Guillaume - HOT trademark agreement update

Deferred, as Guillaume Rischard was absent.

Guillaume - Evidence of use in Philippines status

Deferred, as Guillaume Rischard was absent.

Simon - Any new notices

Japan - trademark notice for the registration of OpenStreet

Simon Hughes had forwarded a trademark notice in Japan for the registration of "OpenStreet".

Kathleen forwarded the trademark notice to Lawdit, asking for their opinion.

Any other business - Queries to legal-questions

Email to trademarks@ - Kiwix

Action item: Kathleen to forward the email seeking endorsement to the board.

Suggestion: Mention that the data should not be mixed.

Ticket#2022102710000193 in German

Tom Hummel replied in German.

Ticket#2022111510000151 - Maproulette challenge 13837

Points mentioned during discussion

  • A Maproulette challenge was created based on CCBY data by the Queensland government officials.
  • LWG had asked for a waiver and the Queensland governmental agency mentioned that they wouldn't sign one, as it wasn't necessary.
  • Microsoft got involved and the the letter from the government officials has been reviewed by their legal team, deeming this acceptable use.
  • Simon Poole had reached out to the Australian agency and shared the reply with the LWG.
  • Kathleen Lu had forwarded the email to Microsoft.

Dorothea provided to the LWG two past emails which were sent to them: one from the Australian officials and one from Harsh Govind (Microsoft).

Ticket#2022112410000268 - GEO-PEAS

Ticket#2022120510000177 - COPIE DE SIGNES DE BALISAGE

Proposed response:
OpenStreetMap does not produce cards with QR codes. It is possible that some unknown person has printed copies of OpenStreetMap, as this is free to do. If you have a complaint about particular data on the map and proof that it was copied from your map, please follow our procedures here:

Points mentioned during discussion

  • They have 130 associations and they maintain over 20,000 km of trails, similarly to the Appalachian trail conservancy in the US.
  • There is a trail on OSM but it does not mean that it was copied from them.
  • A lot of people must have walked and mapped these trails on OSM.

Links shared during the meeting:

  • Permission needs to come from the board.
  • Toyota cars using OSM.
  • BMW uses Mapbox - but that doesn't necessarily mean that they use OSM.


  • German company from the 1980s.
  • Their business is not very international.
  • Seem to use map data to produce test data for autonomous driving systems, so OSM probably will not be seen by normal drivers.
  • Historic core of their business is the electronic control units.
  • Might produce more publicity for OSM.
  • CES 2023 takes place in January, so a prompt response is needed.

Action item: LWG to forward the email from dSpace to the board.

Link shared during meeting:

Meeting adjourned 61' after start.

Next Meeting

2023-01-12 - 1830 UTC