From OpenStreetMap Foundation
< Board‎ | Minutes

Draft minutes to be added.

The topics of the agenda get locked one week before the meeting.

Date and time: Thursday 27 June, 13:30 UTC - Countdown

Location: Video room
using BigBlueButton.



  • Arnalie Vicario
  • Craig Allan
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Roland Olbricht (joined 7' after start)
  • Sarah Hoffmann


  • Daniela Waltersdorfer
  • Mateusz Konieczny

Officers and board


  • 14 guests, including Hopeful Bafamodei (Presenter)

Open to all OSM Foundation members. (Become a member of the Foundation, even for free if you are an active OSM contributor)

You are welcome to ask questions or to comment (via voice or on the chat) at the end of the meeting.

  • Please mute your microphone when you join, and to preserve bandwidth, refrain from turning on your webcam.
  • If you are in a low-bandwidth environment, you may benefit from using BigBlueButton's low-bandwidth settings. To assess them, click on the 3 dots on the top right of the black video-window.


Approval of previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Action item updates

Public board action items - About
Filter by assignee Arnalie Craig Dani Guillaume Mateusz Roland Sarah Not assigned
Filter by label Example: any label # labels here (non-clickable)

Secretary's report

As usual the Secretary’s report is drawn from the GitLab issues and email correspondence of the Board. Not everything is here, but I think these topics are the most interesting

Mid-month meeting 13 June 2024

The team went through the draft tasks from the Face to Face meeting for each person to see what should be published as member tasks. We discussed staff management roles and responsibilities and delegated Craig and Roland to share the discussion with Guillaume - who was not able to attend this meeting. We reviewed the move to the EU and supported moving forward on it as an urgent matter. We noted that Paul Norman has posted about progress on vector tiles to the community General Talk.

#640 Distributed Denial of Service Attack

On 13 June we had another big Denial of Service attack on our servers which lasted a few hours. We did not seem to receive a ransom note this time. Our systems team deployed their defensive tools which greatly limited the impact of the attack. In the medium term we may need to review and improve our defenses.

#643 Vandalism

Our headline event of this month has to be the massive data vandalism attacks that we suffered. It seems that one individual was vandalising the map, but on a huge scale. The account was blocked and recovery operations began. It soon became clear that the recovery is more difficult if volunteer mappers assist by layering new corrective editing on top of the vandalism. Ideally the vandalism should be notified to OPS and all vandal edits should be rolled back in one operation. We published a blog post in praise of the Data Working Group for dealing with the problem.

#641 Vandalism Follow up

We were able to track down the vandal and our team phoned him at home, in his home language, to ask him to stop messing with the map.

#633 Big Blue Button

These Board meetings use the free and open-source video conferencing software Big Blue Button. Local Chapters and Working Groups also use on the system. We hit a problem with exceeding the storage limits of the account. It turned out that someone was giving private tuition with the system and was recording all the sessions. If you use Big Blue Button for OSM purposes, please remember to download your recordings.

#637 Template Letter for new Corporate Donors

A new corporate donor just wrote to us and asked to join. We really appreciate that they did that and we decided to write and thank them on behalf of the whole Board. The same would apply to all new corporate donors so we spent a bit of time putting together a nice template for a thank you letter which we will use in future.

Two Conferences

Board member Sarah recently joined the 3rd annual UNMaps conference in Valencia, Spain to present about the OpenStreetMap project and participate in a panel discussion about crowd -sourced geodata. Sarah notes in her blog post that OpenStreetMap is well known and is used on a daily basis within the UN. ​ Our Treasurer, Roland, attended a conference of the Traveller Information Services Association. They are focused on providing traffic and traveller information services in the EU. They are under some pressure to produce a European system and were very interested in layering their information onto OSM road and rail networks.

#634 South Australia Director of Land and Built Environment

We were offered a lot of governmental spatial data in South Australia, by the director of the department that created much of it. These gifts are complex because we can’t just add in new data to the map without resolving all the conflicts with the existing data. I haven’t heard yet how it is going, but he may be disappointed by our lack of enthusiasm and the complicated process.


We’re preparing our table and presentations for Sotm EU. The board will be represented by board member Mateusz, who lives in Poland, and our administrator Dorothea.

SotM 2024 Nairobi

The organisation of the conference is proceeding well. I hope we will get a lot of people there, especially people from Africa who we haven’t seen before. We’ve just learned that the Board will not be getting free tickets for the conference. We’re going to have to pay! Another proof that OSM Working Groups are assertively independent.

2024 Elections

I want to remind everyone that the Board elections are coming up in October. We’re starting the work already, setting up the Wiki and organising communications material.

Treasurer's report

Membership campaign update

Update: put on-hold after request by Arnalie.

2024 Annual General Meeting and election to board

Next step for OSMF regarding vandalism

Presentation: Delighted Women Development Initiative by Hopeful Bafamodei

10 minute presentation by Hopeful Bafamodei on the "Delighted Women Development Initiative" and the OSM community in Nigeria. 5 minutes questions and comments.

Any other business

Request by MWG for budget

Draft minutes to be added.

Act as a platform to process temporary road closures, see issue 648

Draft minutes to be added.

Reply to the DWG

Draft minutes to be added.

TISA meeting

Draft minutes to be added.

Guest comments or questions

Next meetings

All Board meetings for 2024 have been planned. See the Monthly Board meetings page to find out where board meetings are announced and for a subscription link to have future board meetings automatically added to your calendar.

Open board meeting: 25 July 2024

Open board meetings take place online monthly: currently on the last Thursday of every month.

Dates: See this Framagenda calendar (green dots), and the monthly board meetings page. The dates of public board meetings are also added to

Next public meeting: 25 July 2024 at 13:30 UTC.

Mid-month board chat

Next mid-month board chat: 4 July at 13:30 UTC.

Mid-month board chats are informal and are not open to observers.

Dates: See this Framagenda calendar (yellow dots), and the monthly board meetings page.

Closed session: Personnel management