Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2021-11-11
OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group (LWG) - Agenda & Minutes
11 November 2021, 18:00 UTC
- Dermot McNally (Chairing)
- Jim Vidano
- Tom Hummel
- Michael Cheng
- Kathleen Lu (on leave)
- Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board)
Adoption of past Minutes
- 2021-10-21 Accepted
Previous Action Items
- 2017-03-02 Simon to determine existing obligations towards sources listed on the copyright page.
- 2017-05-04 All/Simon to review import guidelines with regards to licence “approval”.
- 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
- 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
- 2019-01-10 Simon to draft text to developers of apps related to geo/mapping, having OSM in their names or using variations of our logo.
- 2019-02-14 Simon to summarise the advice regarding information requests from law enforcement and send it around.
- 2019-12-12 Simon to discuss trademark registration strategy (more countries, additional classes, etc) with lawdit
- 2020-01-09 Simon to include text about downstream produced works to the FAQ.
- 2020-03-12 Simon to send to Mateusz the link with the research by Kathleen on attribution on various apps.
- 2020-09-10 Simon to set-up call with Kathleen and our UK lawyer about trademarks.
- 2020-10-08 Simon and Guillaume to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page.
- 2020-10-08 Simon to send his Moovit contact to Guillaume.
- 2020-10-08 Simon to send a summary of which action items need to be done.
- 2021-01-14 Guillaume to report on Board status re identification of outside counsel
- 2021-02-11 Kathleen to check LWG-specific membership requirements on the OSMF website and Conflict of Interest policy and provide to Dorothea any updates for the website.
- 2021-03-11 Guillaume to sort out various email issues -
Making sure Dermot is on the main legal mailing issue, making sure everyone is getting OTRS email notifications for the legal queue.
- 2021-07-08 Guillaume to meet with Dermot about using OTRS.
- 2021-07-08 LWG members to provide comment on the HOT draft trademark agreement on the next meeting.
- 2021-07-08 Tom to reply to the gdpr_openstreepmap.org_tsfkd@ email.
- 2021-07-08 Jim to look at next steps for Opensnowmap.org paperwork after the trademark request has been approved by the board.
- 2021-07-08 Dermot to ask Tobias for expected outcome regarding the request for change of the text of the standard tile license.
- 2021-08-12 Tom to suggest text to be published regarding OSMF's legitimate interest in processing personal data.
- 2021-08-12 Dermot to reply to Tobias about simplifying the text of the tile licence.
- 2021-08-12 Dermot to make the pull request on Github openstreemap-website regarding attribution requirements for OSMF tiles
2021-08-12 Tom to ping Lawdit regarding the Japanese trademark process.
- 2021-08-12 Dermot to communicate back to contacts regarding Australian data attribution and suggest filling the waiver template.
- 2021-08-12 LWG to identify OSMF legal texts that might be needed under German law to be in German.
- 2021-09-09 Jim to ask Simon whether he has previous emails contacting companies that were not displaying attribution.
- 2021-09-09 Guillaume to check past emails (e.g. last year ones related to case in Germany where they settled in court) for any sent to companies not complying with attribution requirements and to send what he finds, including links to the Github repositories with the lists of not complying organisations, to the Signal group.
- 2021-09-09 Jim to have create a draft template email for the community to contact organisations regarding non compliance with the attribution guidelines
- 2021-09-09 Dermot to reply to Jean-Marc with the LWG decision to create a template email for minor cases of non-compliance with the attribution guidelines available to the community and the LWG to directly contact bigger companies.
2021-09-09 LWG to ask Tom in a week (2021-09-16) on Signal if anything needs to be done regarding the Japanese trademark. 2021-10-21 Tom to email Lawdit again, ask if there is anything that OSMF can do and cc the LWG.
Check OTRS tickets
Decision: section not to be minuted.
State of the Map Libya 2021 quick licence request
|A group in Libya has applied to use the OpenStreetMap marks for a local conference. The LWG has received the filled standard application form.
Approved, subject to approval by the State of the Map organising committee.
Email received about Crimean boundaries
- Discussed on LWG Signal group.
- Email forwarded to Data Working Group (DWG), which has default text available.
- LWG not to create new wording for such answers.
Application to join LWG - as followed up by email on 3rd November 2021
|Application by TomTom employee.|
- Continue conversation on Signal LWG group.
- First reach out to other people regarding application.
- Ask him to join the public part of the next meeting and talk about his motivations.
Any Other Business
Japan trademark transfer
|The OpenStreetMap trademark is registered in Japan by 一般社団法人オープンストリートマップ・ファウンデーション・ジャパン / OSMF-Japan (which is the Local Chapter in Japan). The trademark is in the process of being transferred by OSMF-Japan to OSMF.
Application was filed timely. Paid a long time ago.
|Files.osmfoundation.org is an instance for file hosting, used by some OSMF working groups and committees.|
Access to each file depends on its restrictions.
Template email (regarding non compliance to attribution) by Tom
|Related to action item: Tom to draft template email for the community to contact organisations regarding non compliance with the attribution guidelines.|
Suggestion: Discuss on Signal LWG group.
The minutes will be at Licensing_Working_Group/Minutes/2021-12-09.