From OpenStreetMap Foundation

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Agenda & draft minutes
Wednesday 10 March 2021 18:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co

* Please note that this was not strictly an Operations Working Group (OWG) meeting.




Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.



Previous minutes


Action items

  • 2021-02-24 OWG to ask Jochen if he wants to add back the commented date [Topic: Reportage, Replation Diffs]
  • 2021-02-24 Tom to report back on TimescaleDB again at next meeting. [Topic: Reportage] [was: 2021-01-13 Tom to evaluate TimescaleDB] [Topic: Longer term metric retention]
  • 2021-02-24 OWG--> Grant to install a Discourse instance to get us started. [Topic: Discourse]
  • 2021-02-24 OWG to get a new DB server for Dublin - pending board budget "level" approval (already included in "High" option). [Topic: Katla]
  • 2021-02-24 OWG--> Grant to check with fastly if they are happy to be credited as a top 3 donor. [Topic: Tile CDN]
  • 2021-02-24 Grant to add create S3 + permission for Paul to access. Grant to check on Athena requirements. [Topic: Athena] e
  • 2021-02-24 Michal to speak to Paul to get Limesurvey access. [Topic: Lime Survey] # 2021-03-10 Bounced to the board by Paul - Allan sent the conditions about using OSMF account to LCCWG, who are looking at other solutions as well.
  • 2021-02-10 Paul to gather details about data centers near Dublin.
  • 2021-01-27 Sarah to inform the board. [Topic: Nominatim and QGIS]
  • 2021-01-13 OWG to send message to the servers we want to keep. [Reportage. Existing CDN servers]
  • 2021-01-13 Grant to give Paul read access to Athena. [Topic: Log analysis] #2021-02-10 give bucket access.
  • 2021-01-13 Paul to query the logging data and test producing a report. [Topic: Log analysis]
  • 2021-01-13 Grant to wipe thorns and the 3 other machines [AMS]. [Topic: Longer term metric retention]
  • 2021-01-13 Paul to create ticket with Equinix to scrap the wiped thorns and the other 3 machines. [Topic: Longer term metric retention]
  • 2021-01-13 Paul to create a ticket related to tile geographical localisation. [Topic: Lack of render capacity]
  • 2020-12-02 Grant to develop some thoughts on what is next for us using AWS. [Topic: AWS]
  • 2020-11-04 Grant to do heavy integrity checks to Katla to test its response to heavy load.
  • 2020-11-04 Grant to create bucket with right permissions and set path hierarchy. [Topic: Commercial CDN]
  • 2020-11-04 OWG to work out tile log archival and deletion policy at later stage. [Topic: Commercial CDN]
  • 2020-10-21 Paul to write to Discourse ticket and email the board. [Topic: Discourse]
  • 2020-10-21 Grant to check that Bytemark put the disk to the right controller. [Topic: Reportage] Done, but machine (Katla) has more failures than expected. Retire it?
  • 2020-09-23 Grant to put in touch Guillaume and Toby. [Topic: Wikimedia challenges with Tile CDN delivery] Grant to check up on status.
  • 2020-09-23 OWG to pencil out what is needed. [Topic: Wikimedia challenges with Tile CDN delivery]
  • 2020-09-23 Toby Negrin (Wikimedia) to ask Wikimedia whether they would be interested in OSMF running a tile service available to Wikipedia and if they would be willing to share hardware resources or expertise. [Topic: Wikimedia challenges with Tile CDN delivery]
  • 2020-09-09 Tom to update OAuth ticket https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1408 2020-09-09 Reportage, related to 2020-08-26 action item.
  • 2020-09-09 [Not assigned] [Topic: AWS] Speak to AWS person about going ahead with open data program with official OSM S3 bucket.
  • 2020-09-09 [Not assigned] [Topic: AWS] Decide on services we need to run on AWS. Need clearance.
  • 2020-09-09 [Not assigned] [Topic: AWS] Work out rough budget.
  • 2020-09-09 [Not assigned] [Topic: AWS] Talk to OpenAerial Map/HOT.
  • 2020-09-09 [Not assigned] [Topic: Federating OSM communities' rooms through OSMF-hosted Matrix servers] Evaluate effort required. Constrain the scope to what we can support and perhaps ask volunteers to step in.
  • 2020-09-09 Paul to work out a proposal for the Ironbelly replacement. [Topic: Ironbelly replacement]
  • 2020-08-26 Tom to look at road ahead for OAuth. [Topic: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?] https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1408 # 2020-09-09 Did some investigation - branch with some code. Better understanding of OAuth 2 and options. Doable.
  • 2020-08-26 Grant to talk to Ian about migrating old content to Discourse. [Topic: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?] 2020-09-09 pending.
  • 2020-08-26 [not assigned] Create Github ticket for updated OAuth. [Topic: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse?]
  • 2020-08-12 Michal to try to rekindle excitement about people helping with imagery (on dev channel/imagery channel or Slack). #2020-08-26 No progress.
  • 2020-07-29 Grant to enable background sync to AWS S3. [Topic: Ironbelly] #2020-08-12 & 2020-08-26 Manually run, scripting to be added.
  • 2020-07-29 Grant to check with Wiki Admins on hCaptcha (reCaptcha replacement). [Topic: Wiki reCaptcha issue] https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/454 #2020-08-12 hCaptcha people reached out and happy to help. Blocker on Mediawiki 1.35 being released in August.
  • 2020-07-15 Paul and Grant to quote up a server to replace errol/kessie. [Topic: Replacement of Errol/Kessie]. #2020-08-12 A new person in OWG asked to do Errol. Need to replace it at some point - at UCL.
  • 2020-07-15 Ian to try converting fluxBB DB to go into Discourse. [Topic: OSM Forum (FluxBB) update]. # Evaluating whether moving is an option. Need to see about history, user log-in.
  • 2020-07-01 Paul to create a ticket about solutions to reduce incoming comms. [Topic:Revision of acceptable use policy to reduce incoming comms]
  • 2020-07-01 Grant to work out some of the questions for an online form as a solution to reduce incoming comms. [Topic: Revision of acceptable use policy to reduce incoming comms] 2020-08-12 need to think about the reply.
  • 2020-07-01 Michal to reach to AWS (need a story for AWS to show how their help will lead to AWS spending from users). [Topic: Commercial CDN for Bulk Tile Users] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-May/084700.html #2020-08-12 Michal feels blocked, could draft something. We got contacted by AWS,not replied yet. More info at 2020-08-12 reportage.
  • 2020-06-04 Paul to update the Github ticket "Adding API key support for tile.osm.org" https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/342
  • 2020-06-04 OPS team to draft an email (regarding a call for proposals), ask for comments. [Topic:Adding API key support for tile.osm.org https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/342]
  • 2020-04-10 OWG Push up tile usage policy (commercial entities, vehicle tracking applications - which are heavy on Nominatim and probably not attributing as well). [Topic: Commercial CDN for Bulk Tile Users]
  • 2020-04-10 Grant and Tom to work out a table of different data bits, work out how they are backed up and what can be potentially improved. [Topic: High Availability / Redundancy of OpenStreetMap.org (and primary services)]
  • 2020-04-10 [Not assigned] Potentially move some more of backup data into long term S3 buckets. [Topic: High Availability / Redundancy of OpenStreetMap.org (and primary service)]

Action items from this meeting

  • Grant to ask Sarah Hoffman about the urgency of replacement. [Dulcy - Topic: Power outage]
  • Tom to fix the Wordpress updater. [Topic: Wordpress updates]
  • Paul to have a look at TimescaleDB. [Topic: TimescaleDB]


  • External hosting: ~300-600 USD/month, depending on volume
  • Self-hosting: novel installation method, Docker-based with script management
  • Rubén Martín (full-time at HOT) offered to help.



  • Ask the board which Working Groups (WG) should be involved - would increase time.
  • Ask Rubén Martín for technical recommendations to set this up.
  • Board to take-on answering to community questions, maybe together with Local Chapters and Communities Working Group (LCCWG) subcommittee.
  • Look at French Discourse instance.

Next steps:

  • Create roadmap/timeline.
  • Community consultation.

Power outage

  • Power outage at AMS location (primary location for DB server and other hosting).
  • Successful fail-over.
  • Might have blown one PSU in Dulcy (Nominatim geocoding server) - we have redundancy. Grant got a replacement.


  • Add more monitoring.
  • Ask Sarah Hoffman about the urgency of replacement.
  • Ship replacement.
    • Cost: 40 GBP postage + 150 EUR for 1 full hour of remote-hands (pending: minimum unit of remote-hands, might be 15').

Action item: Grant to ask Sarah Hoffman about the urgency of replacement.

Wordpress updates

Wordpress does not seem to update automatically.
Probably the location for updates has changed.
Wordpress has switched to using Github now.

Tom joined ~ 26' after start.

Action item: Tom to fix the Wordpress updater.


Waiting for approval of OWG budget by the board.


Blew up again after 2 weeks - has been reset.
Running in US.

Action item: Paul to have a look at TimescaleDB.

OAUth 2.0

Needs more time.

mmd offered to help.
OWG could also ask the board for help (perhaps contract people for other tasks to free-up time).

Next meeting

Wednesday 24th March 2021 18:00 London time