From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Draft notes

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting* - Agenda & Minutes
Wednesday July 29th 2020, 18:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co

* Please note that this was not strictly an OWG meeting.




Live notes by participants.


Previous minutes


Action items from this meeting

  • Paul look into costs/bandwidth for S3 serving planet files [Topic: Ironbelly].
  • Grant to enable Bittorent planet file [Topic: Ironbelly].
  • Grant to enable background sync to AWS S3 [Topic: Ironbelly].
  • Grant to check with Wiki Admins on recaptcha replacement. Blocker on Mediawiki 1.35 being released in ~ August [Topic: Wiki re-captcha issue].
  • Grant to move draco to Kessie [Topic: Imagery Server Future?].

Commercial CDN

Current status:

  • Fastly is set up to use backends based on Fastly-computed geo information for request with fallback to another backend if it's down
  • os.openstreetmap.org is using the CDN URL
  • PR to switch embed.html to use CDN URL is waiting to be merged

Find out what happens when exceed quota and then proceed.
What's involved with getting credits with them.

Potential evaluation criteria

  • feel less time/month will be spent
  • reasonable cache hits
  • reasonable geographic locality/access speed
  • HTTP/2
  • responsiveness of support
  • what about countries a US company can't interact with (Iran, North Korea)

Open Ops Tickets

Review open, what needs policy and what needs someone to help with.

Forum migration

Related to Github: Merge forums, OSQA, MLs to discourse? #377

  • Finished migration of FluxBB data to Discourse. It took ~18 hours.
  • Users in FluxBB don't have email addresses, so users might not be able to claim their username/previous posts without some extra steps after the migration.
  • Still thinking about how to share OSM login.

Wiki reCAPTCHA issue

Related links:
* Github: Wiki asks for confirmation code before saving changes without sending one #449
* Github: Switch mediawiki from reCaptcha -> hCaptcha #298

  • ACTION: Grant to check with Wiki Admins on reCAPTCHA replacement. # Blocker on Mediawiki 1.35 being released in ~ August


(Planet / Planet Generation / Diffs / NFS Filesystem) Box 8-10 years old.

  • Split up server?
  • Upgrade the server?
  • Bandwidth used if we use S3 for serving planet files? - ACTION: Paul to look into costs/bandwidth.
  • Bittorrent enabled planet file! ACTION: Grant to enable this.
  • Upgrade hardware not practical or not prefered (risk).
  • AWS S3 sync automatically. ACTION: Grant to enable background sync.

Imagery Server Future?

  • Kessie is ~20TB of storage. Upgrade is a pain... So many disks!
  • COG (Cloud Optimised GeoTIFF) with S3 + Lambda: Get out developer / community involvement?
  • Upgrade errol for Processing Imagery.
  • Own tin vs Lambda? We need to work out costs once we have an idea.
  • draco: ACTION: Grant need to move this to Kessie.

Errol Upgrade: - Many options for hardware upgrade.... Cost / Priority?

Next meeting

Wednesday, 12th of August 2020, 18:00 London time