Board/Minutes/2021-02-S2S/Discuss Membership prerequisites - steps towards Annual General Meeting resolution
Discuss Membership prerequisites, steps towards Annual General Meeting (AGM) resolution
Notes by participants. Might be enriched.
This session took place in parallel with "Discuss rebooting the Engineering Working Group". A summary was provided to the other group.
- Guillaume Rischard
- Mikel Maron
- Rory McCann
- Tobias Knerr
The rest of the board members participated in the parallel session.
"The board of directors shall, together with the OSMF Membership Working Group, work on a set of proposals to ensure that all successful applicants for membership or associate membership in the OpenStreetMap Foundation have made a reasonable amount of contributions to OpenStreetMap. The specific form of the contributions (e.g. mapping vs. non-mapping) does not make a difference for the fulfillment of these prerequisites. The board shall submit these proposals as possible resolutions at a general meeting in 2021."
Rory thinks that the HOT model (of members choosing each other) is more robust & less hackable than other models, but is not necessarily suggesting adopting this model.
Tobias: is it a matter of asking the Membership Working Group (MWG) to come up with the details?
Action item: delegate to MWG?
Mikel: risk of discouraging people from joining
- What happens when you don't meet the number
Who is membership for?
Do we have any non-negotiables for OSMF membership?
Using something similar to Active contributor membership (ACM) program would allow synergy with the work for requirements checking that we've agreed on a budget for.
Delegate to MWG
Should the board give guidance to this Working Group (WG)?
Messaging, and communication, to the OSM community, is very important, and a multiyear process.
- Should the board be explicit with other types of contributions aside from map edits?
- Motivation: Currently we list edit counts, explicitly listing other types of contributions ensures this is communicated well.
- Wiki edit counts?
- Give talk at an OSM event with X+ attendees.
- Requirements need not be same as Active contributor membership program.
- both numerically measurable and assessed by decision.
- is needs consultation across community. Can MWG run this?
- consultation should happen with a proposal (or some other new input), not immediately.
- People who are doing paid work on OSM should be able to become members.
- Come up with suggested criteria for skin in the game based membership
- Don't discourage the people we want as members
- Guillaume to take it to MWG.