Working Group Minutes/MWG 2018-09-24

From OpenStreetMap Foundation


  • Steve Friedl (SJFriedl)
  • Michael Spreng (datendelphin)
  • Jonathan Witcoski (jonwit)

Open issues

  • Member self service area
  • Membership fee waiver program

Minutes of last meeting

unanimously accepted

CiviCRM mail problem

We would like to thank Jon Goldberg from Megaphone Technology Consulting for his generous help in resolving this issue. He identified the problem and helped us mitigate it.

osmf membership badge on

The idea is that people can voluntarily show that they are an osmf member on their member page on Michael has prepared a pull request for that goal which is awaiting review from the rails port developers.

20:15 < datendelphin> So let's get started anyway
20:15 < datendelphin> Last minutes:
20:15 < SJFriedl> no, that's not the minutes
20:15 < SJFriedl>
20:16 < SJFriedl> I've reviewed them and it looks familiar.
20:18 < datendelphin> then lets move on to the missing reminders
20:18 < SJFriedl> Thankful those are fixed.
20:18 < datendelphin> We would like to thank Jon Goldberg from Megaphone Technology Consulting for his generous help
20:18 < datendelphin> and yes close that as resolved
20:19 < SJFriedl> I would have figured it out eventually, but it would have taken a solid month of becoming an expert at CiviCRM.  
20:19 < SJFriedl> SO GLAD I didn't have to do that.  +1 for Jon @ Megaphone
20:19 < datendelphin> :)
20:20 < datendelphin> Next would be the Membership fee waiver program
20:21 < datendelphin> I am a bit fuzzy on the current state.
20:21 < SJFriedl> I'm also fuzzy, am reviewing previous minutes.  I believe somebody - not me - was on point here.
20:22 < datendelphin> I hoped that we can launch it, but I think we still lack the procedures
20:22 < SJFriedl> Oh, standby, I was looking at the wrong minutes, you were right. Duh.
20:23 < datendelphin> I think we just keep it open until Joost or someone picks it up again
20:24 < SJFriedl> Right, joost was on it.
20:25 < SJFriedl> I don't remember if the Board talked about this at all ?
20:25 < SJFriedl> The previous discussion was here:
20:25 < SJFriedl> seems to me this should be some other place than etherpad
20:26 < datendelphin> The board talked about this almost ages ago. It is based on a board decision. pnorman mentioned to inform the board, but we do not need to have another formal 
                      approvement until the board tells us otherwise. And I agree with that
20:27 < datendelphin> The discussion mainly took place on irc, and email. That etherpad is more of a summary
20:27 < SJFriedl> What I remember is that we scaled down the requirements that you have been an active editor for some time period in the past, this was a definition used elsewhere, and 
                  that "doing a thing of value" was dropped because it's too subjective.
20:27 < SJFriedl> I think all that's pending is to publish (and publicize) the process.
20:28 < datendelphin> yes
20:29 < SJFriedl> Would we need CiviCRM support to make this work? Like a tickbox in a member field or something?
20:29 < SJFriedl> I believe the waiverness has to be private information
20:30 < datendelphin> The application is a simple form, like the bank transfer form
20:30 < SJFriedl> Yes, but do we have to keep track of it in CiviCRM ?
20:30 < datendelphin> We need to create another member type in CiviCRM, but that is all
20:30 < SJFriedl> oh ok.
20:31 < datendelphin> so yes of course we have to track it there, but it seems to integrate well with the other member types
20:31 < SJFriedl> Good that you know CiviCRM that well
20:32 < datendelphin> actually it was pnorman who explained it to me :) credit where it is due
20:33 < SJFriedl> there ya go!
20:34 < datendelphin> Move on?
20:34 < SJFriedl> yes
20:34 < datendelphin> The last one is the membership badge on the page
20:34 < datendelphin> I prepared a pull request
20:35 < datendelphin> though it probably needs a few "architectural" adaptions
20:36 < SJFriedl> That's all in Ruby ?
20:36 < SJFriedl> (the website)
20:36 < datendelphin> Problem is that there are few who know the rails code well and are fit for such a decision. I keep nagging TomH.
20:36 < SJFriedl> Ah, ok. I don't know Rails at all.
20:36 < datendelphin> Yes it is. Was the first tie I did something in that language
20:36 < datendelphin> tie->time
20:37 < datendelphin> So that does not help to motivate people to review my request
20:37 < SJFriedl> And the badge is all a vector instead of just an image?
20:38 -!- jonwit [] has joined #osmf-membership
20:38 < jonwit> So sorry for being extermely late, jonathan w here from usa
20:39 < datendelphin> no it's an image
20:39 < SJFriedl> Really? I'm looking at the pull request and there's a huge <svg ...> that smells all like graphics.
20:39 < datendelphin> Hi jonwit, we are discussing the membership badge on the page
20:40 < SJFriedl> Maybe I don't know what I'm loolking at
20:40 < datendelphin> well I checked in both
20:40 < SJFriedl> Hi jonwit 
20:40 < datendelphin> so the svg is the editable version of the image, but delivered is 
20:41 < SJFriedl> Oh, it's the *source* of the image.
20:41 < SJFriedl> I'm not qualified to get anywhere near the Rails code, I'm afraid
20:42 < datendelphin> yes, it's the source. Don't worry, I just read the code for admin badges and hacked something similar
20:42 < SJFriedl> got it
20:42 < datendelphin> uncluding drawing that badge thing
20:44 < jonwit> From the comments on it its looks like this is workable and can be tested (not sure if it has been)
20:45 < datendelphin> it is tested. No idea why travis says otherwise. Locally the tests were successful. I suspect a glitch with travis
20:46 < datendelphin> but yeah, not much we can do until one of the main railsport devs has a look at it. Just wanted to include it in the minutes, that the MWG did something :)
20:46 < datendelphin> Anything else?
20:47 < SJFriedl> Nothing I can think of
20:47 < jonwit> Nothing here
20:48 < datendelphin> ok, then thanks everyone.
20:48 < SJFriedl> until next time, see ya all
20:49 < datendelphin> see ya
20:49 < jonwit> bye