Working Group Minutes/EWG 2024-02-07

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Formal proceedings


  • Andrew Hain
  • Adam Hoyle
  • Tobias Knerr
  • Mikel Maron
  • Roland Olbricht
  • Emerson Rocha


  • Salim Baidoun

Introduction: Mikel

Mikel Maron has joined the Engineering Working Group (EWG) and is briefly introducing himself. Mikel is currently the point of contact to Martin (for iD development) through the Personnel Committee and will continue in that role. Mikel can help the EWG in getting contracts right thanks to prior experience in his day job and his various OpenStreetMap Foundation roles.

Meeting schedule

The current meeting slot is inconvenient to Mikel, and others would also benefit from a different meeting slot. Roland volunteers to set up a Doodle or equivalent.

Minutes of previous meeting

The previous minutes have been approved with 1 abstention.

Active Projects

Budget planning

It is expected that the board is requesting an adjustment to the budget proposal. This year it is intended to move budget items that cannot be funded directly off existing income into a so-called Overflow Budget of items that are reactivated by the board on request of the working groups when enough money is available.

Related to this: To our understanding, the EWG has approved Paul's complete proposal. Opposed to this, the board has the understanding that 40 000 EUR of volume are in the budget and contigencies if that does not suffice are in the Overflow Budget.

Motion: Move the travel budget (5000 EUR) and microgrants (30 000 EUR) into the Overflow Budget.

Refactoring of OSM website notes

Action: Once the board has pre-approved the budget, Emerson shall contact Gregory to make sure he is ok to start the work. Emerson will act as a point of contact.

Vector Tiles

The EWG members have received a link to the spreadsheet where Adam tracks Paul's progress on the Vector Tile work.

Time spent so far: 73.29 % of the time for the software design and development phase. 4.34 % for other things, The rest is unspecified.

The "Software design and development phase" task group is now complete and Paul has moved onto the shortbread implementation set of tasks.

Google Summer of Code

The application has been submitted, and it will be a few weeks until we know if it's approved. There are currently a low number of mentors and project ideas, but OpenStreetMap's organizers strive for more from the community.

Future Projects


Tobias volunteers to grant Salim and Mikel access to the EWG repo on GitHub.

Action item: Formulate the communication topic. Let the EWG agree on topic and narrative. Ask the community on Discourse for process, but with an open-ended framing to avoid preempting the board.

Salim will send email on the progress with grants to EWG.


Action item: ask Simon Poole and LWG and user mmd both whether the wiki page is still at least generally correct.

Steps expected so far:

  • 1 project that handles disallow for website and.
  • 1 project for API. The infrastructure exists already, i.e. code to require a login.

Part of the work is also updating the documentation on the wiki.

Remark: The CGImap project handles some of the API requests in parallel. So it must be adapted as well, but mmd should have an opinion on that.

Second remark: Still outstanding after the two steps is to migrate the planet file server including minute diffs.

Milestones for future projects

Repeated the existing stance on suggested standard milestones.

Any other business

Access to engineering@ mail

Tobias volunteers to email Dorothea to have Mikel and Andrew Hain added to engineering@.

Next meeting

Next meeting is 2024-03-06, 16:30 UTC unless rescheduled.