From OpenStreetMap Foundation

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Operations Meeting - Draft minutes

These minutes do not go through a formal acceptance process.
This is not strictly an Operations Working Group (OWG) meeting.

Thursday 16 November 2023, 19:00 London time
Location: Video room at https://osmvideo.cloud68.co



Minutes by Dorothea Kazazi.

New action items from this meeting

  • Grant Slater to ask if we can get one /48 and get routing to both DUB and AMS. [Topic: IPv6 related]
  • Grant Slater to start a list when machines are ordered. [Topic: Raid controller cards]


Remove S3 replication redirect?

Replication Diffs 500ing occasionally on AWS. Issue raised with AWS.

  • 0.001% requests failing.
  • We haven't seen any problem with the tile service.
  • Grant opened topic pyOsmosis to retry their requests.

Decision: We will not modify the redirects for now.

IPv6 related

IPv6 /48 - Can we do use same for Dublin and Amsterdam, if yes then we will request.

Suggestion: we get our own /48 to move the IPv6 addresses

IPv6 /48 - Can we do use same for Dublin and Amsterdam, if yes then we will request.

Action item: Grant to ask if we can get one /48 and get routing to both DUB and AMS.

SotM Europe 2023 follow ups?

  • Tom had mostly discussions about the website.
  • Huge number of recent commits. Andy merged some of Tom's.

Possible future blog-posts:

  • One about AWS.
  • Second one by Andy to show recent things like the Rails upgrade, to increase visibility.


  • PR still broken.
  • Tom used the layer over the weekend - seems useful.

Decision: postpone removal till next issue arises.

Raid controller cards

  • The Raid controller cards in the two stormflies will probably be done beginning of next week.
  • The supply for the cables is taking really long time to ship them.
  • The new backplane has fixed the original problem but is connected to the old controller at the moment.
  • Standard config: eight backplane, with the option of adding a 2-port add-on backplane. Also NVMe 2-port option, or you can have an NVMe 10-port option and combinations.

Action item: Grant to start a list when machines are ordered.

Open Ops Tickets

Review open, what needs policy and what needs someone to help with.

Action items

  • 2023-11-02 Paul to update the PR https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/4126 [Topic: OPNVKarte]
  • 2023-11-02 Paul to sketch out the different components we would need to implement and how they relate. [Topic: osm2pgsql-replication]
  • 2023-11-02 Dorothea to create accounts on the OSMF NextCloud server for the OWG members and add Grant as an admin. [Topic: AMS data center visit]
  • 2023-09-21 Grant to create a table on the cache headers that we send. [Topic: Surrogate key patch]
  • 2023-06-29 Grant to put Martijn van Exel's policy for addition of OSM editors to the osm.org menu out for feedback. [Topic: Draft policy by Martijn van Exel]
  • 2023-05-18 Paul to start an open document listing goals for longer-term planning. [Topic: Longer-term planning]
  • 2023-05-04 [WordPress] Grant to share list of WordPress users with Dorothea and their response to keeping an account. [Topic: WordPress security] - Shared, but additional work required