Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2024-01-31

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Meeting started at 14:05 UTC.



  • Anisa - IT
  • Arnalie - HOT
  • Eugene - PH
  • Maggie - US
  • Geoffrey - UG

Not present

  • Adam - UK (with apologies)
  • Besfort - XK (with apologies)


  • Minutes of previous meeting: https://hackmd.io/@lccwg/By84TffH6
    • Approved
    • Eugene stated that the transfer of past minutes to the OSMF wiki is still ongoing
  • Włodzimierz Bartczak (Polish LC) interested to join LCCWG
    • Adam stated that Włodzimierz couldn't come to this month's meeting; will try attend next month
  • Arnalie had previously requested a private GitLab repository for LC applications (LCCWG and Board to have access) to Dorothea; Dorothea forwarded to Grant; request is still ongoing
    • Arnalie had followed up with Grant last year; Arnalie to follow up by 9 Feb
    • LCCWG will use HackMD temporarily
  • Tidy up Gitlab c/o Adam and Eugene
    • No updates yet

Main agenda

LCC Virtual Congress 2024

Tentative program

  • Date and time as previously agreed: March 2nd from 13:00 UTC to 16:00 UTC
Time in UTC Topic Facilitator
13:00 - 13:10 Welcome Eugene
13:10 - 13:35 LCCWG report + community/LC Anisa?
13:35 - 13:45 1st Break (Get a snack 😁)
13:45 - 14:10 Affiliation models Arnalie
14:15 - 14:40 Website Redesign Adam?
14:45 - 14:55 2nd Break (Get a drink 😁)
14:55 - 15:15 Regional SotM and Mapping USA reports Maggie
15:15 - 15:40 Fundraising & Chapter Sustainability (SotM sponsorhip/membership framework) Joost ? / Geoffrey
15:45 - 16:00 Closing + LCCWG invitation Eugene or Dani :)


  • Share this to the WG chat and ask for feedback and commitments for the proposed facilitators
  • Use BBB as default? Or OSMUS Zoom if needed - decide by Feb 22
  • Send program + link ~ 1 week before
  • Arnalie to share with Dani / ask about closing
  • Ask SotM/community/LC reports to send presentation if any ahead of time
  • Use LCCWG Feb meeting as final prep

Board updates (c/o Arnalie)

  • OSM Belgium re-application approved
  • WG Board liaison: Dani (Arnalie as support)
  • Other topic raised: NDA signing

LC How-to + application updates/status

  • OSM Belgium case: https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/osmf-local-chapter-re-application-osm-belgium
    • If LC applicant is a subdivision of a larger organisation how to check that OSM is a focus? (Argentina, Italy, Germany, Oceania, previously Belgium)
    • If re-application, ask history of why the community is re-applying
  • Question of sanctions, de-recognition, and good standing of existing LCs
    • Per the LC Template agreement, Section 9.1.: "The Chapter shall supply a written activity and financial report in English at least once a year, within 18 months of each chapter year end to the Foundation. The report will also list any unsuccessful membership applications with the reason why they were not approved."
    • Ideally LCs should have people in the WG
    • Currently, task of checking compliance resides with the Board Secretary
    • LCCWG agreed that Board handles this for now

Improving the OSMF affiliation model [GL#12]

  • Defer: this will be discussed during the LCC congress

2021 Community survey documentation

  • Arnalie will take on this task probably starting in April
    • Ask Clifford for access

OSM website Communities page

  • Skipped

Any other business

  • None

Next meeting

  • Currently set for 28 Febuary 2024
    • Arnalie requested to move start time to 13:00 UTC; Arnalie to ask in LCCWG chat

Meeting ended at 15:00 UTC.