Local Chapters and Communities Working Group/Meeting minutes/2019-10-09
Meeting started at 16:09 UTC
- Clifford - US
- Eugene - PH
- Patrick - CH
- Joost - BE (joined at around 16:32 UTC)
- Ben - BE
- Maggie - US
- Rob - UK (with apologies)
- Stefano - IT
Approval of the 2019-09-03 meeting minutes
Previous action items
|Send to the WG Joost's old notes for the WG's Terms of Reference (ToR).
|Discuss and update the WG ToR before SotM
|Members attending SotM
|Present the WG ToR to the Board
|Not done (moot); Eugene sent an email to the Board instead (2019-10-07)
|Send an email to the osmf-talk list about the re-launch of the WG and solicit members who want to join the WG
|Deferred until ToR approved
|Publish WG ToR to the local-chapters list
|SotM 2019 LCC
Formally accept Patrick Stählin to the group
There were no objections. Patrick is also already on the local@ mailing list because he was a member of the previous LCWG.
Discussion regarding WG focus items
Per the Terms of Reference, WG members should start discussing the focus items.
Building local community cohesion
Here is a list of projects, initiatives, and tools aimed at building communities (or at least bring mappers together):
- Brian DeRocher gave a talk during SotM US 2019 called "Supporting Local Groups on osm.org". This is an initiative to add features to the OSM website to "support city sized groups of mappers". The WG agreed to support this initiative and maybe help Brian to deploy his project by helping to connect him with the OWG.
- DevSeed recently launched the OSM Teams API. The WG sees is as more intended for organised editing teams instead of supporting local communities.
- OSM Community Index
- Welcome Tool/RSS-Feed from Pascal Neis
Action item: The WG agreed to create a page at the OSM Wiki to provide a curated list of these projects/tools and to promote this as widely as possible. (One possible page to co-opt/hijack is: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Collaborative_tool_for_welcoming_new_mappers)
Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
- Creating a venue/channel for exchange of ideas among Local Chapters and local communities was discussed during the recent SotM 2019 Local Chapters Congress.
- Currently, the only venue for Local Chapters and other local communities to exchange ideas and discuss community-building is the local-chapters mailing list.
- See also the LCWG communication channels agenda item below.
Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
Here are some points and discussions previously brought up:
- Joost, in his role as an OSMF Board member, started a discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list last July asking for feedback on the criteria for approving Local Chapter applications.
- In response to Joost's list thread, OSM UK privately sent a statement to the OSMF Board last September seeking clarity on what the Local Chapters affiliation scheme is intended to accomplish.
- Joost stated that OSM UK's statement started some discussion within the OSMF Board but no concrete action items were drawn.
- Recognizing less-formal user groups was suggested during the recent SotM 2019 Local Chapters Congress.
WG project: The WG agreed to proactively take on the role of examining the current Local Chapters affiliation scheme, seek improvements to it, and make a proposal that will be submitted to the Board for approval. Here is the tentative plan:
- Collate all responses to Joost's list thread, OSM UK's statement, previous comments from the Board, and items brought up during the SotM Local Chapters Congress.
- Potentially also consult existing Local Chapters, applicant Local Chapters (such as OSGeo Oceania), potential Local Chapters (such as OSM US), and other local communities.
- Discuss possible improvements to the affiliation scheme by the end of 2019.
- Draft a proposal for an improved affiliation scheme in the first quarter of 2020. This draft may then be published to the wider community for feedback, amended, and then submitted to the Board for approval within 2020.
LCWG communication channels
The following are the communication channels that the WG members are expected to use:
- OSM-community-building Telegram/Riot/IRC channel (bridged via Matrix)
The following points were brought up:
- WG members should make an effort to use the local-chapters mailing list, especially for announcements.
- Use Telegram/Riot/IRC for smaller talk.
- Whenever a consensus has been reached or a discussion has concluded, send an email to the local-chapters mailing list.
- Action item: Joost will seek ways to improve the Matrix bridge technical problems.
Answer to Board emails regarding the ToR
Action item: Eugene will answer the emails from the Board (Frederik and Mikel).
Next meeting will be sometime in November. A Doodle poll will be created to set the meeting date and time. Eugene will ask Rob to setup the next meeting.
Meeting ended at 17:34 UTC.