Licensing Working Group/Minutes/2024-05-13

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

OpenStreetMap Foundation, Licensing Working Group (LWG) - Agenda & Minutes
13 May 2024, 18:00 UTC


  • Kathleen Lu (Chairing)
  • Dermot McNally
  • Tom Hummel
  • Tom Lee
  • Guillaume Rischard (OSMF board, joined 10' after start)
  • Alexander Zatko (guest)


  • Simon Hughes


Adoption of past minutes

Previous action items

  • 2018-03-08 All to look at the Working Groups collecting personal information.
  • 2018-04-12 LWG to follow-up on the iD editor, as the number of changesets is now included on the changeset comments thread.
  • 2020-10-08 Simon Poole and Guillaume Rischard to look at the translation issue of the copyright policy page
  • 2020-10-08 Jim Vidano to work on updating the privacy policy in relation to OSMF's use of a commercial CDN, and Kathleen Lu will have a look at it.
  • 2021-02-11 Kathleen Lu to check LWG-specific membership requirements on the OSMF website and Conflict of Interest policy and provide to Dorothea any updates for the website.
  • 2021-03-11 Guillaume Rischard to sort out various email issues - Making sure Dermot McNally is on the main legal mailing issue, making sure everyone is getting OTRS email notifications for the legal queue.
  • 2021-07-08 Guillaume Rischard to meet with Dermot McNally about using OTRS.
  • 2021-07-08 LWG members to provide comment on the HOT draft trademark agreement on the next meeting.
  • 2021-07-08 Jim Vidano to look at next steps for paperwork after the trademark request has been approved by the board.
  • 2021-07-08 Dermot McNally to ask Tobias for expected outcome regarding the request for change of the text of the standard tile license.
  • 2021-08-12 Tom Hummel to suggest text to be published regarding OSMF's legitimate interest in processing personal data.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to reply to Tobias about simplifying the text of the tile licence.
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to make the pull request on GitHub openstreemap-website regarding attribution requirements for OSMF tiles
  • 2021-08-12 Dermot McNally to communicate back to contacts regarding Australian data attribution and suggest filling the waiver template.
  • 2021-08-12 LWG to identify OSMF legal texts that might be needed under German law to be in German.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano to ask Simon Poole whether he has previous emails contacting companies that were not displaying attribution.
  • 2021-09-09 Guillaume Rischard to check past emails (e.g. last year ones related to case in Germany where they settled in court) for any sent to companies not complying with attribution requirements and to send what he finds, including links to the GitHub repositories with the lists of not complying organisations, to the Signal group.
  • 2021-09-09 Jim Vidano and Dermot McNally (2021-12-09) to create a draft template email for the community to contact organisations regarding non compliance with the attribution guidelines
  • 2021-09-09 Dermot McNally to reply to Jean-Marc Liotier (board of directors) with the LWG decision to create a template email for minor cases of non-compliance with the attribution guidelines available to the community and the LWG to directly contact bigger companies.
  • 2022-01-13 Simon Hughes to download a copy of the Copyright FAQ page and mark anything that is not matching the attribution guidelines or is confusing and circulate that to the LWG.
  • 2022-04-14 Guillaume Rischard to ask Tom Hughes to see how many translations of the Copyright and Copyright FAQ page are live. Topic Needed: Update to Copyright FAQ page to match new attribution guidelines
  • 2022-09-15 Dermot McNally to send an email to the companies mentioned on Ticket#2022011910000082 and Ticket#202201261000014
  • 2022-09-15 Guillaume Rischard to respond to the email Ticket#202208041000024 and redirect to the right person.
  • 2022-10-13 Guillaume Rischard to take the Ticket#2022100310000013 issue to the board (related to legal consequences for “unlicensed surveying”)
  • 2022-11-10 Guillaume Rischard to pass the message to the board member who wrote to the LWG about Open Database License (ODbL).
  • 2023-03-06 Kathleen Lu to write back to Iiro Laiho (Inquiry re Finnish satellite imagery) and have them clarify that the attribution is ok. The LWG to update the attribution.
  • 2023-04-03 Guillaume Rischard to ask Grant Slater regarding passing LWG tickets to OWG.
  • 2023-04-03 Dermot McNally to find wording that makes it clear to the recipients of the love letters that the letters come from mappers.
  • 2023-04-03 Guillaume Rischard to send the Attribution Guidelines (Case of German Federal Mapping Agency buried attribution)
  • 2023-04-03 Tom Lee to reply to the OSM Serbia community on GitHub asking for additional details (Ticket#2023030810000178 - Serbian Geodata)
  • 2023-04-03 Dermot McNally to put Benito Romualdo Palma Temoaya in touch with the Mexican community (Ticket#2023032410000272 – Asesoría)
  • 2023-11-13 Tom Lee to create a draft statement by the next LWG meeting that could be used by the board to encourage governments to publish under CC0, ODbL, OGL or with a waiver to OSM. [Topic: Ordnance Survey Ireland waiver - Update by Dermot McNally]
  • 2023-11-13 Tom Hummel to read [Topic: Ticket#2023110610000184 - Importing Austrian governmental data]m to add to add the following two templat
  • 2023-11-13 Tom Hummel to contact Falk, a lawyer from the German local chapter, and get his opinion on the general stance of mid-level governmental agencies. Estimated to have a response by early December. [Topic: Ticket#2023110610000184 - Importing Austrian governmental data]
  • 2024-01-08 Kathleen Lu to contact Lawdit and enquire about the cost estimate for opposing the trademark registration by UMBRAOSM.
  • 2024-01-08 Kathleen Lu to reply to Kirill Fedotov that the new MapBuilder designs for OSM account sign-ups look good.
  • 2024-01-08 Tom Hummel to reply to the last email about rescheduling the meeting regarding the Austrian governmental datasets , cc Dermot McNally and try to schedule a new date.
  • 2024-01-08 Kathleen Lu to reply to the reporter that, per horizontal layers, what was done with the Organic Maps feature related to is fine for data about hotel booking, and enquire about further concerns.
  • 2024-01-08 Kathleen Lu to contact OWG regarding Matomo tracking (Q5: is there a delay after which old IP addresses are anonymised and Q6: For how long is Matomo tracking information retained by OSMF). LWG to answer questions one to four, providing the reasoning.
  • 2024-01-08 Kathleen Lu to forward this request for permission to use the OSM trademarks on the domains:,,,, to the board.
  • 2024-01-08 Guillaume Rischard to send an attribution love letter to OpenGeoHub, regarding OpenLandMap.
  • 2024-01-08 Guillaume Rischard to talk with Tom Hummel, before the latter talks to Falke.
  • 2024-01-08 Guillaume Rischard to provide a summary regarding the German federal cartography agency issue at the next meeting.
  • 2024-02-12 Guillaume Rischard to ask UMBRAOSM for a copy of their filling change request. [UMBRAOSM UNIÃO DOS MAPEADORES BRASILEIROS DO OPENSTREETMAP]
  • 2024-02-12 Kathleen Lu to email OSMtips and send them the template for project and domain grandfathering applications. [Topic: 2) and related domains]
  • 2024-02-12 Kathleen Lu to email OpenLandCover and suggest template [Topic: 3)Query from Mateusz re OpenLandCoverMap]
  • 2024-02-12 Simon Hughes to provide the difference in number of POIs between the old and new datasets provided by Geolytica to TomTom. [Topic: Geolytica]
  • 2024-02-12 Kathleen Lu and Tom Hummel to talk with Sarah. [Topic: OSMF transfer plan scope of work quote from law firm]
  • 2024-02-12 Kathleen Lu to write back to EWG to ask for clarifications. [Topic: EWG enquiry about update]
  • 2024-02-12 Jim Vidano to contact the website with an attribution love letter [Topic: Ticket#2024011610000011]
  • 2024-02-12 Kathleen Lu to write back to inquirer that we will add to the copyright page, and that they should notify the Danish data authority that they will be represented on the /copyright alongside all our other prominent sources (there not being anything listed on the front page). Or you can get a CC waiver. Also cc Tom Lee [Ticket#2024020610000298]
  • 2024-02-12 Tom Lee to reply [Topic: application for forward geocoding addresses in Germany]
  • 2024-03-04 Dermot McNally to reply to Markus and suggest setting-up a meetingwith the Austrian government. Tom Hummel would be interested to join. [Meeting with Brigitte Lutz/Austrian gov and OSMF Austria LC]
  • 2024-03-04 Jim Visano to finalise the letter to and bcc the LWG. Kathleen will add the letter to the LWG shared folder.
  • 2024-03-04 Kathleen Lu to write back that this OGL Ontario lecence is okay, please add to before using [ODbL compartibility with Open Government License - Ontario]
  • 2024-03-04 Kathleen Lu to write back that this OGL Nanaimo is okay, please add to before using [ [ODbL compartibility with OGL Nanaimo License - Ticket#2024030210000114]
  • /2024-04-08 Kathleen Lu to reply to Sarah indicating that the LWG is not completely confident in the firm. Therefore, there is a risk of investing money and time in something that may not be the most effective use of resources. However, both the board and the LWG can monitor the situation closely. Additionally, any delay would also come with associated costs. [OSMF transfer plan scope of work quote from law firm]
  • /2024-04-08 Kathleen Lu to write back that based on the slides, NNG seems to try to adhere to ODbL and the community guidelines. [Query from HERE forwarded by the Board]
  • /2024-04-08 Dorothea Kazazi to put the SotM quick licence requirements topic on the board’s agenda. [SotM quick licence requirements - From Mateusz]
  • /2024-04-08 Kathleen Lu to reply about the LWG's assessment of Croatia's open licence [Croatia open licence]
  • /2024-04-08 Kathleen Lu to reply about the LWG's assessment of York's Open Data licence Ticket#2024030710000016 [Assessment of York Open Data licence Ticket#2024030710000016]
  • /2024-04-08 Kathleen Lu to reply. [University of Washington GIS data and layers and university policies Ticket#2024032010000456 Ticket#2024032010000456]
  • /2024-04-08 Kathleen Lu to reply about the LWG's assessment of Open Government License – Toronto [Assessment of Open Government License – Toronto]

Any updates on reported attribution cases?

Reports in OTRS:

Trademarks – any updates?


OSMF move to the EU

To be clarified by the LWG whether the minutes can be published, as the previous ones were redacted.

Kari Annand - was: Microsoft and European Commission Ticket#2024031210000328

  • Kathleen was able to reach her by email but schedules have not aligned for a call
  • Kathleen to try to set up a call again.
  • There is no rush.

Casa Seneleste – update from original reporter - was: Ticket#2024011610000011 – love letter candidate

Update from original reporter "Thank you Jim & LWG. These site and their affiliates are now complying with the license, sadly because their choice to do it was to stop using OSM data and moving to G Maps, but I'm glad now the license is respected."

Jim’s letter was successful and we did get a reply from the person who originally emailed us.

Application for new membership – Alexander Zatko

Alexander's attribution proposal: <link to Google doc>

Alexander had connection/sound issues during the meeting.

Query from OSMF: GDPR and affected services

Guillaume joined 10’ after start.

  • There is no simple engineering solution.
  • API keys might be long-term a better solution, so there can be tiers of access.

On API keys

  • In theory you could lock down the APIs more and/or require people to agree to updated terms, or send a notification.
  • The vast majority of OSM contributors do not need access to all stuff.
  • Security: This solution helps from a security standpoint, in cases of compromised accounts.
  • Implementation: Implementing API keys doubles size of project.

Suggestion: write back to EWG and ask for an expert review of the details. Other points mentioned

  • There should be some way of tracking that users have accepted the new terms.
  • Measures should be reasonably secure,

GDPR related:
32 gdpr, rec. 39 S. 12: “appropriate security and confidentiality of the personal data, including for preventing unauthorised access to or use of personal data and the equipment used for the processing.”

Link shared (old)

Queries from Local Chapter: OpenStreetMap France

OSM France is asking for feedback on their translation of the community guidelines.

  • We would have to say that it is an unofficial translation and OSM France can host the translation themselves. If it is fine, we can link to it.
  • Guillaume offered to review the French translation. He has been involved in the discussion of the community guidelines, more than the LCs. Could point to us if the translation is reasonable.
  • If we have a small budget, we could ask a French lawyer to review it.

Action items

  • Guillaume to review the translation of the community guidelines by OSM France.
  • Kathleen to write back and say that some French speaking members will have a look at the translation but we don’t have resources to officially bless the translation. Suggestion to OSM France to host the translation themselves and we might link to it from the website or wikiformat it, to host it at the OSMF website as an unofficial translation.

Queries from Local Chapter: Email from Jochen/Falk/FOSSGIS

  • Email was sent several weeks ago and Kathleen has replied. They haven’t replied back.
  • The LWG does not remember the German LC contacting them in the past and mentioning any issues.
  • There’s no reason to not have a conversation and make sure the imagery provider understands what we’re doing.

Queries to legal-questions

Ticket#2024040710000103 – Database for importing license question

  • The phrasing they had for attribution – they don’t seem to think of cases where the data is incorporated with other data. What we do might not be prominent enough for their expectation. Seems like they want to have attribution within the data.
  • There is a Chinese version. The EN one is the canonical one.
  • “The terms might be revised and if you continue the data you agree the new terms.”
  • LWG would probably not accept it.

Suggestion: Ask for a waiver.

>They probably won’t take out the indemnity language.

Next Meetings

Monday 10 June 2024, 1700 UTC
Monday 08 July 2024, 1700 UTC
Monday 12 August 2024, 1700 UTC
Monday 09 September 2024, 1700 UTC
Monday 07 October 2024, 1700 UTC
Monday 18 November 2024 (back to winter hours - 1800)
Monday 09 December 2024, 1800 UTC