CWG meeting 2016-02-17

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Communication Working Group meeting on Wednesday 17th February 2016




Next Meeting

Wednesday 2016-02-24, 21:00 UTC

IRC log:

21:00 Zverik: let's start then. I doubt Harry will come, since I (again) forgot to post a memo to the mailing list
21:00 Zverik: Grant still hasn't moved our github repo
21:01 Zverik: I've reminded him yesterday, but he is probably swamped with other tasks
21:01 hbogner: i guess so
21:02 Zverik: actually, I think I can do that myself
21:02 hbogner: regarding the move, i can prepare the labels for all the osm-cwg repos and issue types
21:02 Zverik: hbogner: are you hbogner on github?
21:03 hbogner: ok, then you should cretate cwg team and invite/asign us to it
21:03 hbogner: yes, it is me
21:03 hbogner: and grant cwg team access to that new cwg repo
21:04 Zverik: hbogner: okay, which repos can you see at ?
21:05 hbogner: let me login
21:05 hbogner: before the invite none, after accepting invite "cwg"
21:06 Zverik: excellent! Then I'll transfer all the issues in coming days, and post to the mailing list when done
21:07 hbogner: could you transfer everithing from the osm-cwg repos to that one osmfoundation repo
21:07 hbogner: they have labels assigned
21:07 Zverik: I think I can, but will have to study the API
21:07 Zverik: in worst case, I can recreate all of these by hand :)
21:10 Zverik: now, what else did we discuss last time...
21:10 hbogner: spreading cwg to new members
21:11 hbogner: i mean getting new contributors to cwg
21:11 Zverik: nothing new on that, seeing how many of us is here :)
21:12 hbogner: nope, nothing new here
21:12 hbogner: i still have to list all official osm social media channels
21:12 Zverik: you hasn't posted anything to GroupTweet as well, I see :)
21:12 hbogner: and should write a blog post about it
21:13 hbogner: nope, i just retweet for now, quite busy last few months and next month and a half
21:13 Zverik: absense of a native retweet function is a serious issue, not much original tweets can be posted
21:14 Zverik: I assume Harry hasn't tested the MediaWiki tweeting plugin
21:14 hbogner: i'm hrbogner on twitter, helga beat me to hbogner just few months
21:15 harry-wood: hi Zverik hbogner
21:15 Zverik: harry-wood: hi :)
21:16 hbogner: hi harry-wood
21:16 harry-wood: how's it going? Sorry I was forgetting
21:16 Zverik: harry-wood: we're just remembering things we wanted to do last time and reporting how we has done almost nothing :)
21:16 Zverik: last minutes:
21:16 harry-wood: alright then!
21:17 harry-wood: I was going to look at the mediawiki extension.
21:17 harry-wood: I didn't do that
21:17 harry-wood: But I did set up a est mediawiki install
21:17 Zverik: harry-wood: on a positive note, should be accessible for you
21:17 hbogner: harry, zverik can migrate tasks&posts to osmfoundation
21:18 Zverik: yes, that's the plan. It turned out we don't need Grant for that
21:18 harry-wood: it is not accessible to me :-(
21:18 harry-wood: 404
21:19 hbogner: login and join
21:19 hbogner: Zverik, did you invite harry?
21:19 hbogner: i had accept the invite
21:19 Zverik: hbogner: yes, it says I did
21:19 harry-wood: Ah I see
21:19 harry-wood: yeah I got it now
21:20 Zverik: I can make the repo public if we agree on that. It's just a click of a button
21:20 hbogner: i see you and mvexel now in the team too
21:20 hbogner: lets keep it private for now
21:20 Zverik: I also invited Wille and Chris
21:21 harry-wood: In some circumstances it might be useful to be a private repo
21:21 harry-wood: but not sure how that weighs against the benefit of being open to everyone
21:22 hbogner: we can prepare posts there :D
21:22 harry-wood: then there was (vague idea again) the idea of making a "osm communicators" as a separate new group which could be more public
21:22 hbogner: and post complete messages from people, for the public repo i deleted the personal info
21:23 harry-wood: So I'd suggest keep it private for now, and think about whether we want a public repo in addition, and what that would be called
21:23 Zverik: harry-wood: I think that's after we gathered a said group
21:24 Zverik: for now, I've yet to send a first email
21:24 harry-wood: yep. little way down the line
21:25 harry-wood: I had a chat with peda again after posting his blog post
21:25 harry-wood: he's involved in the osm information gathering pipeline
21:26 harry-wood: And he gave me access to a tool they use for this
21:26 harry-wood: it's a custom written thingy called OSMBC
21:26 Zverik: I heard that group is quite big. And if to add the weekly team, there can be more that 20
21:27 Zverik: ah,
21:29 harry-wood: that's the one. I don't really understand how it works yet. Seems pretty neat though
21:30 Zverik: I doubt the cwg would need to replicate that. + Weekly are more than enough
21:30 Zverik: and we don't have as much news to post
21:31 Zverik: so while osmbc is interesting, I guess it's pretty useless for us
21:31 harry-wood: Certainly we don't want to try to launch some highly duplicating effort
21:32 Zverik: were there any events last week that we could write about, but didn't?
21:32 hbogner: not that i know
21:33 harry-wood: I dunno. I'll have to wait until the weekly.osm comes out :-)
21:33 hbogner: he he he
21:33 Zverik: :)
21:34 Zverik: there was a board meeting, on which we decided to have face-to-face meeting in Spring.
21:34 Zverik: there was some hiccup in the replication process, but that got sorted out quickly
21:34 hbogner: we should not report on those hiccups :D
21:35 Zverik: GSoC is a hot topic on the dev@ mailing list, but we had a post already
21:35 harry-wood: steve coast sent an email about an evil plot to change the license
21:35 harry-wood: All sorts of news :-)
21:36 Zverik: also this:
21:36 hbogner: uh, yes, something about the licence, but it on my to-read list
21:38 harry-wood: So I suppose writing slightly longer blog posts on these topics would be a thing which is quite different from what the wochenotiz/weeklyOSM team are doing
21:39 harry-wood: Whereas, trying to have a lively @OpenStreetMap twitter account, is pretty similar
21:39 harry-wood: (short texts linking to other blogs/etc on the web)
21:39 Zverik: yes
21:40 Zverik: but since is considered an official OSMF blog, not sure we can post just anything there.
21:40 harry-wood: I'm yet to understand the translation fits into this OSMBC toolchain
21:41 hbogner: regarding osm-cwg repo/organisation, are we deleting it after transition
21:41 harry-wood: I had thought weekly-osm team were a big bunch of translators (including school kids in language schools recruited by Manfred) and they were purely translating from the wochennotiz
21:41 Zverik: btw, note how osmbc repo owner uses milestones as categories for issues:
21:41 harry-wood: but I think OSMBC is allowing them to work together more closely than that
21:41 Zverik: hbogner: probably, yes. Or just leave it hanging
21:42 hbogner: Zverik, i'm for deleting it after migration
21:43 hbogner: month or so after migration, when we see all is ok
21:44 hbogner: i have to go now
21:44 hbogner: meeting again next week?
21:45 Zverik: right. So, the immediate plan is to move issues and to attract more bloggers to cwg :)
21:45 Zverik: hbogner: yes, the same time
21:45 Zverik: btw, are we doing anything about that almost-spammy mail to press@osmf?
21:46 hbogner: Zverik, for now i try to find real questions and answer them
21:46 hbogner: if they get thru the spam filters :D
21:47 hbogner: whats with the communication@ and communications@ mails? are there two or am i wrong?
21:47 harry-wood: one is an alias of the other
21:48 harry-wood: the correct one is communication@
21:48 hbogner: ok
21:49 Zverik: right, so I guess we are done for today?
21:50 harry-wood: I'm happy to wrap up there. I'll look at that mediawiki plugin soon
21:50 harry-wood: testing this out for Wynndale first:
21:51 hbogner: bye
21:51 : hbogner left the room (quit: Quit: Pozdrav).
21:52 Zverik: thanks, see you next week :)
21:52 harry-wood: Bye then