1. Meet Kate Varfolomeyeva and Orishaba Donitar - new CWG members
- Kate - social media entrepreneur
- Orishaba - MapUganda comms
ACTION: Mikel to follow up with official joining process for Orishaba
2. Social Media Channels (Courtney)
--The social media management documentation needs to be updated, including a process/protocol for giving/removing access to CWG members, as well as a secure mechanism for storing passwords. Ideally 2-4 people have access to any channel so that no one person has the responsibility of being the sole poster.
- Twitter: Tweetdeck doesn't support teams right now. Should we move to another third party scheduler? Is there one that is open source? As well, in the announcement about new Tweetweck, it says that all users of Tweetdeck will have to be verfied (i.e. pay for Twitter) to use it.
- Should we post about new blog posts in the Community Forum and/or listserv?
- Based on our Channel Data study, there is mixed adoption of the Community Forums. What is the OSM/F and CWG's position on using both the listservs and forums for outreach?
- We don't have documentation on passwords
- Not a lot of guidelines other than some info on what not to do - this makes 'engagement' very hard especially when engaging as part of the fundraising strategy
- Amanda's analysis a bout mastodon true but depends what we are trying to do.
- Twitter might just need some investment - members with blue tick or paid social media management software
- Mikel: We can spend some money on this ($100s more acceptable than $1000s)
- We may need this to make sure the scheduler works as we need it to--Twitter is not playing very well in the sandbox. Twitter may also need to be manual - done by a volunteer with a blue check.
- We have the following for social media management but it doesn't really cover posting or strategy https://gitlab.com/osmfoundation/cwg/-/wikis/social-media-management
- Kate: No structure for an organisation of such a size. A strategy is needed: to include basic info; board info, viosion, audience (and therefore platforms) - Kate is putting this together but needs input - concentrating to starty with on the social media fundraising campaign.
- Courtney: This will help with community engagement - ie. this is what we are trying to achieve in these different channels and with these content types.
- Mikel and Grant: We need a password manager so we can reduce personal dependencies and lag
- Choose the right social media scheduler platform to cover as many of the platforms as we can (Kate suggests Planoly, Later, Monday) Kate or Courtney will recommend
- Set up Threads and Blue Sky account: Threads is through Insta, Guillaume will speak to Amanda about Threads and CW will set up Blue sky
- Gullaume: Check whether Insta is set up under Amanda's personal email or an OSMF email account?
- Kate, Courtney Orishaba will write 1) a brand identity guidelines 2) a social media strategy and 3) a blog content proposal and share for inputs. These will help support updated processes.
- Once we have approved guidelines, we will start using LinkedIN, Facebook, Threads, in addition to current. (details to come)
- Could senior CWG members share links of where this Communications documentation should go? Public? In Gitlab? on the CWG wiki page?
- Courtney and Kate will make a posting checklist for posts through the new scheduler and for manual posts (Mastodon)
- Kate: Design / branding guidelines - once you have the design constraints people can be creative with them. Do we have a brief or are we looking for someone to be proactive? Kate to share the work in progress in Gitlab (fundraising campaign).
- Mikel: Donation page - Interactive map / thermometer fundraising concept? Part of the logo? Looking for someone to bring something creative
- Guillaume: Nothing off limits in terms of brand development...
4. Laundry list of ongoing requests:
- what is the status of the Mastodon mirroring?
- THIS IS BROKEN AND ISN'T GONNA WORK AGAIN. NO-ONE MANAULLY CROSS-POSTING AS STANDARD (MAYBE AMANDA AD HOC)
- Is anyone interested in doing research to find contact names for OSM-using companies?
- LOOKING AT CONTACT NAMES FOR COMPANIES USING OSM. THERE IS A SPREADSHEET. COMPANY NAME EXISTS BUT WE NEED CONTACTS FOR INDIVIDUALS / DEPARTMENTS.
- Courtney will set up a 'task' approach to the current spreadsheet and share
- could we have a Slack or Telegram channel so there is more "real time" support for the Board?
- is anyone interested in being a dedicated Comms support for the strategic planning process?
- THIS WOULD INVOLVE BLOGGING AND SOCIAL MEDIA AROUND THE STRATEGIC PLAN AND ACTIVITIES AND WHAT THE OSMF BOARD IS DOING
- NEXT TWO: NEW TIERS / STRATEGIC PLAN ELEMENTS
- Courtney will play this roll and work iit into the blog content plan; other writers are welcom
- is anyone interested in updating the existing blog content strategy. It would also be good to have some guidelines for submission so that more folks feel free to contribute.
- IDEAS AROUND HOW TO MAKE IT EASIER TO PUBLISH A BLOG - BACK TO EDITORIAL GUIDELINES?
- SYSTEM SIMILAR TO WEEKLY OSM?
- HOW TO ENCOURAGE DIVERSITY AND INCLUSIVE PLATFORMING
- KATE: THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR THE SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY - STORIES FROM ACROSS AN ECOSYSTEM VIEW - WILL BE HARD TO MAKE THIS INCLUSIVE IMMEDIATELY AS PEOPLE UNDERSTAND HOW THEY CAN LEVERAGE THE OSMF CHANNELS
- WHERE TO ADD CONTENT SUBMISSION PROCESS / LINK (LOW-HANGING: CWG WIKI / OSM WIKI TO NEEDS DISCUSSION: OSM WEBSITE)
- Courtney will work on this
- related, is anyone interested in looking into ways to make it easier to share stories from the community on the blog and/or on our social media? (plug-ins, processes, etc.)
- Tabled - will look into this as part of the content plan